This could seriously be one of the best breakfast dishes ever! Or lunch… or dinner…. or….
Thanks for visiting – this is Sacramento CA Nutritionist, Dani Conway of Nutrition the Natural Way bringing you a super tasty egg recipe that is simply amazing! This is a great one to keep in your “back pocket” as it is very easy and you can really tailor this to you and your family’s needs. Meat or no meat, dairy or no dairy, veggies of your choice; the options are really endless! Here goes….
Organic Egg & Sausage Frittata
Pastured Eggs – 1 dozen
Natural Sausage – 10-12 oz. removed from casing
Almond Meal – 1/4 cup
Spinach – 4-6 oz.
Mushrooms – 6 oz.
Milk – 1/4 cup (can use raw milk, nut milk or even filtered water!)
Coconut Oil or Butter
Feta Cheese – 4 oz.
Parmesan – 1/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Lightly “grease” the pan with coconut oil or butter and sprinkle the almond meal (or other nut meal of your choice) into the pan. In a separate bowl, crack and lightly beat your eggs and add milk or water to the egg mixture. Set both aside.
3. Saute the sausage for 2-3 minutes if fully cooked and 8-10 minutes if raw on low-medium heat. Add the mushrooms to the mixture when cook time is almost done. Lightly “steam” spinach as well – either use steamer or can combined with this mixture. If you steam the spinach, drain the moisture.
4. Add the sausage and veggie mixture to the pan that you’ve previously prepared with the almond meal in step 2.
5. Sprinkle both cheeses as evenly as possible over the top of the mixture. Then, evenly pour the egg mixture into the pan over everything.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and let cool….. cut into slices and serve! **I highly recommend saving some for yourself as once your family tastes this dish, it may not be around for very long! This one is great to freeze in individual servings and pop into the toaster oven for a quick, complete meal!
As I’m sure you can imagine, creativity is endless with all of the variations possible for this dish. Different sausages or ground meats, cow, goat or sheep cheese, change up the veggies, etc etc. Be inventive and don’t be afraid to try anything. I actually did not use any dairy products and used water instead of milk and it was still delicious! I also used venison sausage. This one was inspired by a recipe in one of the Metabolic Type cookbooks written by N. Dale…
Many of you might think that all we do here at Nutrition the Natural Way is weight loss, weight loss, weight loss. That is simply NOT the case!! We are the partner you’ve always wanted to keep in your back pocket to assist you with MAINTAINING that healthy lifestyle. We will assist and teach you more about revamping recipes, grocery shopping and how to really read a label along with menu planning all year long – again, without sacrificing flavor for health.